Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
A simple and classic recipe from Bon Appétit Magazine. This one is great when the weather starts getting cold.
- 59.14 ml butter
- 453.59 g mushroom, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 118.29 ml pearl barley, rinsed
- 29.58 ml all-purpose flour
- 1892.72 ml canned vegetable broth
- 59.14 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh dill or 4.92 ml dried dill
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and barley. Sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour to pot and stir 5 minutes. Gradually mix in broth. Bring soup to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until barley is tender and soup is beginning to thicken, about 40 minutes. Mix in parsley and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.