Recipe by blucoat
A simple and classic recipe from Bon Appétit Magazine. This one is great when the weather starts getting cold.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 lb mushroom, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 8 cups canned vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1 teaspoon dried dill
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in heavy large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, carrots, celery, onion and barley. Sauté until vegetables begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
- Add flour to pot and stir 5 minutes. Gradually mix in broth. Bring soup to boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until barley is tender and soup is beginning to thicken, about 40 minutes. Mix in parsley and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.