1/1 Photo of Mushroom Barley Soup
2 hrs 20 mins
We ordered out soup the other day and it was mushroom barley soup - I got 2 slices of mushrooms - my co-worker and I stood there - whats this - and there where peas in my soups whats up with that - well I made my mushroom barley soup and we all enjoyed some true comfort soup - I was going to take a photo - but it was gone before I could - enjoy
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 ounces button mushrooms
- 4 ounces shiitake mushrooms (dried)
- 4 ounces cremini mushrooms (dried)
- 4 ounces porcini mushrooms (dried)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 sprig thyme (fresh)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup barley
- 8 cups vegetable stock (beef stock may be used also)
- 1 cup red wine
- 1/4 cup carrot (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup celery (finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon garlic (minced)
- 3/4 cup onion (finely diced)
- 1Chunk chop your fresh button mushrooms.
- 2In a food processor place your dried mushrooms and pulse until you acquire a small chop look - make sure to sweep up all the powder that has come up the sides of the processor - place in a bowl cover with 2 cups boiling water allow 30 minutes for mushrooms to absorb water. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and place a small plate on top to push down the mushrooms.
- 3In a medium pot add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil - come to medium high heat - add onions, garlic, celery, carrot and sweat for 5 to 10 minutes add button mushrooms and brown slightly.
- 4Add your soaking mushrooms, water and all. Add barley cover with vegetable stock, add bay leaf and thyme. Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hours Check for fluid levels - if it appears you need more fluids add a cup of water. Season with salt and pepper to your taste (I use kosher salt and 1 tsp fresh ground pepper).
- 5Stir occasionally and add wine cook for 10 minutes after adding wine. Serve with a nice side salad - thick slice of bread and a glass of the red wine -- Enjoy.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (238 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 140.6
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 17.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.6 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 6.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: