Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a great version of this soup! This makes a medium hearty soup-not too much broth and not too little. I personally like mine extra hearty, so I increase the barley to 1/2 a cup.
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces white button mushrooms
- 4 ounces baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup barley (not quick cooking)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Slice or quarter mushrooms into about 1 inch pieces.
- Heat 1 T. oil and butter in soup pot over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and saute until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds and remove from heat to a bowl and reserve.
- Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in same pot over medium high heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and saute until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add broth, water and barley. Heat to a low boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and worcestershire sauce, and simmer partially covered (with the lid slightly off) 20 minutes more.
- Adjust seasoning if necessary. If you are using full sodium broth you may not need salt.
- Serve hot with good bread!