- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- hot pepper sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 1/2 of the butter in a large pot and saute onions.
- Rinse barley in warm water and add to onions.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about an hour, or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining butter in frying pan and saute mushrooms until they give up their liquid.
- Add mushrooms to soup when barley has cooked.
- Stir a little soup into the sour cream, then stir sour cream mixture into the soup.