Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
Easy and delicious. The sour cream really makes this soup special
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper
- hot pepper sauce
- Heat 1/2 of the butter in a large pot and saute onions.
- Rinse barley in warm water and add to onions.
- Add broth, salt and pepper and hot sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer about an hour, or until barley is tender.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining butter in frying pan and saute mushrooms until they give up their liquid.
- Add mushrooms to soup when barley has cooked.
- Stir a little soup into the sour cream, then stir sour cream mixture into the soup.
This soup is sooooo good, easy and inexpensive. Amazing taste with so little ingredients. Try it, you'll love it !!!