Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms, fresh and sliced
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken broth or 4 cups vegetable broth
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat dutch oven or large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and onions, cook until gold, about 3 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, and simmer until the barley is tender, about 1-1/2 hours.
Mmmmm, what a soup!!!! It is so tasty with all the different flavours working harmoniously together to make for a lovely taste. The pearl barley adds nutrition and substance to make this soup a whole meal in itself. When making this I felt that the full amount of liquid might dilute the soup too much, so I only used half of what was called for and the end result was perfect for me. That being said, Im not much a fan of clear soups, so thats just personal preference. I could not stop eating your yummy soup and will definitely make it again! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing it here with us! Made and reviewed for Veggie Swap #22 May 2010.
What a wonderfully flavored soup that is all the better for not being weighed down with cream and butter. I used veggie broth concentrate and DH and I really loved the result. This will be made many times over :D
Very earthy, simple, and delicious soup. Made as directed and wouldn't change a thing. Thanks, stingo! Made for Veggie Recipe Swap.