Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a great summer salad.
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cups white mushrooms, Thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 cup corn
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, miced
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- In a dry frying pan on medium heat put in barley for approximately 3-10 min until it gets a beige color.
- Then in a medium sauce pan bring barley, water and salt to a boil. Cover reduce heat and simmer until barley is barely tender about 25 minute.
- At 20 min with a fork stir in carrots. Cover for the remaining time (5 min) until water is mostly absorbed is squeaky tender and carrots crisp but tender.
- Check near end of cooking time to see if pot needs more boiling water.
- Drain in a sieve.
- In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, mustard. Basil, salt and pepper.
- Add barley and carrots and toss with a fork to mix.
- Make ahead. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
- Next day add mushrooms, green onions, red pepper, corn, celery and parsley toss to combine.