Recipe by Atiekay
It sounds basic, but it is soooo good! Cook time can be rushed although slow cooking yields the bEsT flavor. I generally use baby portabello mushrooms when I make this.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups mushrooms, diced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup barley
- 2 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat vegetable stock in a saucepan or the microwave.
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet on low heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft (1-2 minutes). Should be slightly golden.
- Add mushrooms and basil and continue cooking about 4 minutes.
- Stir in barley; be sure it's well coated. Raise heat to medium and cook 5 more minutes.
- Stir in hot veg. stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 25 mins until all liquid is absorbed.
- Reserve some tomatoes for garnishing and mix in the remainder.
- Garnish and serve!