Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
If you like mushrooms, this is the soup for you. The keilbasa adds an extra richness to the flavor. I imagine it would also be a good one in a crock pot for the day while your busy doing other things. YUMMY, so good on a cold day!
- 1419.54 ml beef broth or 1419.54 ml chicken broth
- 236.59 ml water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-4 fresh portabella mushrooms, cubed
- 226.79 g containersliced button mushrooms (Porcini, package size is a guess, it's just the regular size of pre-sliced you find at the store)
- 113.39 g package mushrooms, of choice (Shitaake, Oyster, Morel, etc.)
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 1 carrot, diced (optional)
- 236.59 ml celery, sliced
- 236.59 ml barley
- 226.79 g kielbasa or 226.79 g Polish sausage, cut into chunks
- 1 bay leaves or 1.23 ml dried basil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil in the bottom of a deep pot.
- Add the onion and sauté until almost transparent.
- Add the celery [and carrot if used] and sauté until limp and throw in the keilbasa or sausage.
- Let the flavors blend.
- Add the chicken or beef broth and bring it to a boil.
- Add all of the mushroom, the barley, parsley, bay leaf, salt and black pepper.
- Return to a boil.
- Lower the flame and simmer for 45 minutes or until barley is tender.
Delicious! The mushroom lovers in my family (myself included) loved this soup. I used 2 very large portabello mushrooms, 8 oz. white mushrooms, and 4 oz. shitake mushrooms. Also, I increased the carrots and celery to 1-1/2 cups each and used both a bay leaf and the dried basil. The directions called for parsley but, there wasn't any parsley listed in the ingredients. I used 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley and it worked out fine. Thank you for sharing this delicious, hardy soup! I made this for PAC 2007.