Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this out of Parade magazine ten years ago( '99). It is very garlicky, with an earthy flavor. Easy to make, too. I usually add seasoning as I go along. Thyme, Oregano, and even Rosemary is good in this. I have included the minimal spices. Add what you like!
- rinse and drain barley.
- clean and quarter mushrooms.
- combine broth, barley and carrots in a pot. simmer 40 minutes.
- heat butter and oil in skillet, cook onion five minutes.
- add mushrooms to onion mixture. cook five minutes.
- add garlic to mushrooms and onions. cook five minutes.
- combine all ingredients. simmer 20 minutes.
- serve with great bread.
This was delicious! I cut the recipe in half for DH and I but otherwise followed the instructions! Thank you for posting. And I will be making this again...it was quite filling. Made for Spring PAC 2013.
I had a barley/ bean medly mix and I used that (included chickpeas). Was a very delicious soup for a rainy day. Served with Garlic Olive Oil Plate With Capers. We kept the vampires away. Thanks RK. Made for PAC Fall 09