Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups sliced fresh mushrooms (cremini, button, or shiitake)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked regular barley
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) envelope onion and mushroom soup mix
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a large skillet, cook onion in hot, melted butter over med heat until tender.
- Add in mushrooms and garlic; cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 3-quart baking dish.
- Stir in the water, barley, dry soup mix, thyme, and salt.
- Bake, covered, at 350° for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until barley is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring once or twice.
- Let stand, covered, for 15 minutes before serving.
Yum! Another good recipe from NurseDi. I used Baby Bella Mushrooms and cut the recipe in half, since there were only 2 of us eating this. I will definitely make this one again! Thanks!