1/2 Photos of Mushroom, Barley and Beef Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Chef #509494 JVal's Note:
Found this recipe in "Living the G.I. Diet" This is a good comfort food and I enjoy it as a meal. Freezes well, too. I've served it to friends who've enjoyed it's rich flavour. Ground chicken or turkey and chicken stock can replace beef and beef stock
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 8 -12 ounces extra lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 lb mushroom, chopped
- 1 -2 carrot, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 4 cups beef stock, low sodium
- 3 cups water
- 1/3 cup barley
- 1 bay leaf, crushed
- 19 ounces black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt & pepper
- 1In a large deep pot heat oil over medium high heat and cook beef until no longer pink.
- 2Reduce heat to medium, and add onion abnd garlic; stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- 3Add mushrooms, carrots, celery and thyme and cook for about 15 minutes or until mushroom liquid has evaporated.
- 4Add tomato paste, vinegar, salt and pepper, stir to coat vegetables.
- 5Add stock, water, bay leaf and barley, bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat and simmer gently , about 45 minutes, until barly is tender.
- 7Add beans and heat through.
- 8Remove bay leaf.
Browse Our Top Clear Soup Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Clear Soup Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom, Barley and Beef Soup
Serving Size: 1 (385 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 240.7
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 609.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.1 g
- Sugars 3.3 g
- Protein 19.8 g