Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you like mushrooms, you'll like this pasta dish! Make it a main course, or serve it as a side dish. As well, this dish easily doubles.
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti (or linguini)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces diced bacon
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (see first line of directions)
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Note: use any type of mushrooms you like, or a combination; try button, cremini or shiitake.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water; cook until al dente then drain well; place in a serving bowl and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, heat one tbsp of the olive oil.
- Add bacon and mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, then the capers, garlic, salt and hot pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until garlic is just slightly golden.
- Stir in basil (you can also substitute fresh parsley, for a different taste) and toss with cooked pasta.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on the side.
My husband and I tried this as light supper dish and really enjoyed it.No fresh basil so used mixed herbs and it tasted fine.Portions need bulking out with garlic bread or similar.Never had capers and they really added to the flavour.
This was FANTASTIC! So full of flavor and aromatically pleasing as well. I must admit however that I took the liberty to embellish on what you already had here to suit our own tastes/preferences. I first crisped up the bacon (we actually used 12oz of it because we like a lot of it!) by itself because we really don't like bacon that isn't crispy and I find it doesn't cook as well when done along with something else. I then put it in the microwave to stay warm. For our pasta we went with linguine, and for our mushrooms I chose a mix of crimini and shiitakes. I used more like 4 cups of mushrooms. While the pasta was cooking I sauteed the mushrooms up in some of the leftover bacon grease mixed with a little garlic flavored olive oil, and threw in about a T. of margarine for good measure! Then when it came time to add the EVOO, I instead added some white wine to moisten (1/4 cup) and a T. of evoo, but honestly I would probably leave the evoo out next time as it wasn't needed. And finally since both stores I went to during our grocery shopping were out of fresh basil, I ended up using that fresh basil paste instead and it worked out well. I would add more capers next time since I really like them, but that is personal preference. And I really liked the extra something the hot pepper flakes added to the dish. DH and I ate very well tonight!
So glad I found this. Didn't follow the recipe to the letter. Took the advice of a previous poster who suggested making crisper bacon. Meal was perfect for one and very tasty. This recipe is definitely a keeper.