Recipe by Lennie
If you like mushrooms, you'll like this pasta dish! Make it a main course, or serve it as a side dish. As well, this dish easily doubles.
Top Review by Bar
My husband and I tried this as light supper dish and really enjoyed it.No fresh basil so used mixed herbs and it tasted fine.Portions need bulking out with garlic bread or similar.Never had capers and they really added to the flavour.
- 1⁄2 lb spaghetti (or linguini)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces diced bacon
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (see first line of directions)
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: use any type of mushrooms you like, or a combination; try button, cremini or shiitake.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pot of boiling salted water; cook until al dente then drain well; place in a serving bowl and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet over low heat, heat one tbsp of the olive oil.
- Add bacon and mushrooms to skillet and cook, stirring, until browned.
- Add remaining oil to skillet, then the capers, garlic, salt and hot pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes or until garlic is just slightly golden.
- Stir in basil (you can also substitute fresh parsley, for a different taste) and toss with cooked pasta.
- Serve with parmesan cheese on the side.