Recipe by velorutionista
A simple savory breakfast-type dish that can be made in advance. This keeps well for several days in the fridge once it has been cooked, making leftovers into an easy weekday breakfast to boot! Just make sure you use a French or Italian style bread (a basic crusty bread with little or no added fat) for the best texture. This recipe is also really easy to substitute healthier ingredients into if you're watching your diet.
- 12 ounces crusty bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, thickly sliced
- 6 ounces shredded cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and roughly chopped
- 3 cups milk (plain flavored) or 3 cups soymilk (plain flavored)
- 6 eggs (or 1-1/2 c. egg substitute)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme (or 2 tsp. dried thyme)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Arrange bread cubes on baking sheet in a single layer. Bake at 350 deg. F for 20 minutes, or till toasted. Place bread cubes in large bowl.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium high heat. Add mushrooms and onions; saute 10 minutes or till liquid evaporates and veggies are tender.
- Toss onion mixture with bread cubes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in bowl; whisk till well mixed.
- To assemble the strata, arrange half the bread cube mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Sprinkle with half the cheese and bacon. Top with remaining bread, then the remaining cheese and bacon. Pour egg mixture over layers.
- Cover strata tightly with tinfoil and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake strata, still covered, at 350°F for 30 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes, till top is nicely browned and eggs are set.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.