Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Courtesy of Better Homes & Gardens. $200.00 Winner.
- 1 lb fresh brown button mushroom, sliced
- 1 lb fresh shiitake mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced shallot
- 2 large carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 (14 ounce) cans artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1⁄4 cup sun-dried tomato packed in oil, drained and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- green onion, cut into thin strips
- In a 6 quart Dutch oven cook mushrooms, shallots, and carrots in hot butter about 15 minutes or until mushrooms are tender; stir occasionally. Stir in flour, thyme, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoons each salt and black pepper and, if desired, crushed red pepper. Add broth all at once. Cook and stir until soup is slightly thickened and bubbly.
- Stir in artichokes, tomatoes and bay leaf. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes. Stir in half and half; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Top with green onions.