Recipe by Kim127
I've used this on steak, venison, elk, and hamburgers. Love it. I sometimes add more mushrooms.
Top Review by Mnesbitt3
This sauce was easy and delicious!!!! The only thing I did different was cooked it down rather than using the cornstarch to thicken. I did this before cookin the steaks on the grill, then when the steaks were done, I started to reheat the sauce. As it came to a boil, I threw in 1TB butter and wisked it into the sauce!!! The wife loved it and so did I. We will definitley be having this sauce with steaks again!!!
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (10 ounce) can condensed beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter in a saucepan.
- Add mushrooms, onion and garlic.
- Saute until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, tomato paste and black pepper.
- Bring to the boiling point.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Blend cornstarch with water.
- Mix some of the hot mushroom sauce into cornstarch mixture and return to saucepan.
- Cook and stir until clear and thickened.
- Stir in wine and cook until hot.
- Serve over steak, hamburgers or other meat.