Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This sauce is so versatile. It is a dazzling addition to simple roast chicken, pork or veal, and you can even use it as a pasta sauce.
- 1⁄2 cup dried mushroom, slices
- 2 tablespoons dried onions, pieces
- 1 tablespoon crumbled dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon minced dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon, basil or 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetables or 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, combine mushrooms, onions, parsley, garlic, tarragon, vegetable stock and wine. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms
- are soft.
- In a small bowl, mash flour with butter until blended.
- Whisk into saucepan until blended. Boil gently, stirring constantly, for about 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.