Recipe by chiclet
Are you looking for proof that a vegan entree can be rich, flavorful, and satisfying? Well look no further. This risotto, while a bit labor intensive, is well worth every minute you spend stirring. The servings are generous, so all you really need to make it a meal is some roasted asparagus or steamed broccoli. (From Vegan With a Vengeance)
Top Review by La Dilettante
Oh, my! Delizioso! I had planned to serve a big pasta salad for a luncheon board meeting at my house, but the weather turned rrrrrealllllly cold...so this was a lovely and warming alternative. Interesting flavors, and a meal in itself with salad and crusty bread.
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried shiitake mushroom
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped shallot
- 3 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup chopped sun-dried tomato
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- black truffle oil (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium-size saucepan.
- Add dried shiitake mushrooms and simmer for about 2 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the mushrooms to a plate.
- When cool enough to handle, coarsely chop them.
- Cover the broth and keep warm over very low heat.
- In a medium-size saucepan over moderate heat, sautee the shallots for about 5 minutes; add the cremini mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, and cook until mushrooms are tender and most of the moisture has been released, about 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic, shiitakes, herbs, spices and salt; sautee another 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and stir with a wooden spoon for 2 minutes.
- Add 1 C of broth; stirring often, simmer until the liquid is absorbed, about 6 minutes.
- Continue to cook and stir, adding more broth by cupfuls, until the rice is tender and creamy and all the broth is absorbed. (If the rice is not tender yet but you are out of broth, keep adding water in the same manner as the broth until the rice is tender and creamy.).
- This should take about 30 minutes.
- Spoon onto plates and sprinkle some truffle oil over each serving if you like.