1/2 Photos of Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Zucchini
Rich and savory with portabella mushrooms and spinach, combined with rice, sherry,olive oil,and dill, this makes a dramatic filling for zucchini boats. Another winner from the Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites Cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 medium zucchini
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cups chopped portabella mushrooms, caps and tender stems
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 5 ounces spinach (5 cups, lightly packed)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- black pepper
- 3/4 cup tomato juice or 3/4 cup V8 vegetable juice (sometimes I use spaghetti sauce with a bit of water added)
- 1/2 cup grated Fontina cheese
- 1Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and, using a small spoon, scoop out the insides of the zucchini to leave a fillable shell.
- 2Set aside.
- 3In a skillet, saute the onions, garlic, and salt in the oil on low heat, stirring often, until the onions soften.
- 4Add the mushrooms, dill, sherry, and soy sauce and cook for about 5 minutes more.
- 5When the mushrooms are just tender, remove from the heat and set aside.
- 6Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- 7While the mushrooms are cooking, rinse and stem the spinach.
- 8In a saucepan, steam the spinach leaves in enough water to cover until wilted but still bright green.
- 9Drain and add it to the sauteed vegetables.
- 10Stir in the rice and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 11Pour the tomato juice evenly around the bottom of an unoiled 8x12" glass or nonreactive baking dish.
- 12Press and mound 1/6 of the filling into each zucchini shell and arrange them in the baking dish.
- 13Sprinkle on the grated cheese, cover the pan tightly with foil, and bake for about 30 minutes, until the zucchini are tender and easily pierced with a fork.
- 14Uncover and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the tops are browned.
Browse Our Top Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom and Spinach Stuffed Zucchini
Serving Size: 1 (542 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 262.6
- Calories from Fat 79
- Total Fat 8.8 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 20.8 mg
- Sodium 983.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 12.0 g
- Protein 13.3 g