Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This side dish makes four servings; it's perfect to keep in your fridge to add to stir-fries or pasta dishes. Use as many different mushrooms as you can find, especially the healthier varieties like shiitake, enoki and oyster mushrooms. The dried porcini or cepes really add a lot of flavor. You'll find them in little packages near the produce stands. This recipe was a Dr Weils Recipe of the day !
- 1⁄2 ounce dried funghi porcini (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, preferably extra virgin
- 1 lb mixed mushrooms, fresh
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon herb-seasoned salt
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves
- If you're using porcini mushrooms, put them in a dish with enough hot water to barely cover and let them soak for about 20 minutes.
- Wash and slice the fresh mushrooms and remove any tough stems.
- In a large pan with a cover, heat the oil and sauté the mushrooms, including the soaked porcini and the soaking liquid.
- Stir well, cover and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and herb blend, cover and cook for another 5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add the baby spinach leaves to the mushroom mix. Stir to wilt them briefly, and the dish is ready to serve, or to store in the fridge for later use. You may want to add salt and pepper to taste but most people find it's not necessary.
Made this tonight with a few changes. Used a bag of fresh baby spinach and a large container of white mushrooms, didn't check amounts because I needed to use these things up. Doubled the garlic, as we do in just about every recipe, because we are all garlic lovers in this house. Turned out great. DD gave it a 3 star but it was expected, it is spinach after all. But we didn't need to fight w/her to eat it and that says a lot. Thanks for a wonderful side to our meal.
Love the combo of spinach and mushrooms! I didn't use herb salt, but a couple of tablespoons of fresh cilantro and sliced green onions-yum!
Delicious! My DH loved this side dish! He wants me to make it more often. Which I am more than willing to as long as I have the garlic and mushrooms on hand!! This is very easy to prepare. A wonderful side dish we had we our sunday ham. Thanks for posting this recipe!