Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Australian BH&G diabetic Living.
- 1⁄4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 red capsicum (finely chopped)
- 0.15 lb button mushrooms (thinly sliced)
- 1 garlic clove (minced)
- 0.04 lb spinach leaves (baby 2 cups)
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced diagonally)
- 1 pinch chili flakes (optional)
- 2 tortillas (Old El Paso Extra Light specified)
- 0.13 lb cheddar cheese (1/2 cup 30% fat-reduced grated)
- cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons sour cream (extra light to serve)
- coriander sprig (to serve)
- lime wedge (or lemon wedges to serve)
- 0.10 lb mixed salad greens (3 cups)
- 1 lebanese cucumber (halved lengthways, thinly sliced diagonally)
- 0.00 lb cherry tomatoes (halved)
- Preheat oven to 190C (fan forced).
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan on medium and add the capsicum and mushroom and cook, tossing often, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the mushroom is tender and then add the garlic, spinach leaves, shallot and chili flakes (if using) and cook, tossing, for 1 minute or until the spinach starts to wilt and then transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and set aside.
- Spray on side of each tortilla, and place 1 tortilla, spray side up on the baking tray and sprinkle half of the cheese over the tortilla and then spread the vegetable mixture over and top with the remaining cheese and then add the remaining tortilla, sprays side up.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Garden Salad - meanwhile, put the salad leaves, cucumber and tomato in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Cut the quesadilla into 4 wedges and divide between plates and top with sour cream and coriander sprigs to serve and accompany with the lime wedges and salad.
This recipe has heaps of potential. I made it following the recipes but I'll offer a couple of suggestions that I feel would be ann improvement. Firstly I would double the ingredients. For the size of the tortillas I used the filling was a bit skimpy. Great flavour though. Also, I tried to cook them in the fan-bake oven and when I checked them approximately half way through cooked they were looking decidedly brown and if I'd left them to cook for the full time, they would have been burnt. I think they could be better cooked in a skillet or George Foreman grill. Made for Aussie / Kiwi Swap April 2013.
This is such a light and healthy quesadilla! I ate the whole thing myself and just skipped the salad. Made as written using medium cheddar cheese and just toasted it in the skillet rather than in the oven. I have enough ingredients for another, think it will be tomorrows lunch! Made for Photo Tag.