Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Pearl barley gives this risotto a slightly nutty taste and fantastic texture, with the added benefit of loads of selenium and fibre.
- Place the dried mushroom in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Saute onions until soft. Add garlic and cook 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the barley and coat with oil.
- Add stock and bring to the boil.
- Place barley mix in slow cooker and add mushrooms, including soaking water.
- Cook on low heat for 4 - 5 hours, stirring occasionally. If barley becomes dry, add a dash of olive oil.
- When barley is tender, add spinach and mix well.
- Add parmesan and serve with black pepper.
- Note: If a slow cooker is not available, simmer barley on the stovetop for 40 minutes until tender.