Recipe by evelyn/athens
A most impressive first course. Attractive plating with the cream sauce underneath and the 'purse' on top. Perfect for the holidays or a more elaborate dinner party.
- 1⁄2 cup madeira wine
- 2 tablespoons minced shallots
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 lbs sausages, casings removed
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup minced shallot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄2 lb ricotta cheese
- 16 filo pastry
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- For sauce: Boil Madeira and shallot until almost all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- Add stock and boil until reduced to ½ cup, about 10 minutes.
- Add cream and boil until reduced to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
- (can be prepared 1 day ahead) For purses: Cook sausages until no longer pink, crumbling with a fork.
- Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- Pour off fat from skillet.
- Add ¼ cup butter and oil to skillet and cook until butter melts.
- Add mushrooms and saute 6 minutes.
- Add shallots and thyme and saute until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Add to sausages; cool completely.
- Mix cream cheese and ricotta in large bowl to blend.
- Add mushroom mixture and stir to blend.
- Cover filo sheets with a dampened towel next to your work surface.
- Stack 2 filo sheets on work surface.
- Cut off strip of filo to form a 12 inch square.
- Reserve filo strips under dampened towel.
- Brush square with melted butter.
- Place 1/8 of sausage mixture in center of square.
- Gather up corners to form bundle.
- Gently twist filo strip to form rope-like tie.
- Wrap tie around bundle and tie in a loose knot at center.
- Place bundle on baking sheet.
- Brush bundle and tie with butter.
- Repeat 7 more times.
- (can be made 4 hours ahead) Preaheat oven to 400F.
- Bake bundles until golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
- Bring sauce to simmer and spoon onto plates.
- Top with bundles.