1 hr 5 mins
A most impressive first course. Attractive plating with the cream sauce underneath and the 'purse' on top. Perfect for the holidays or a more elaborate dinner party.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For sauce: Boil Madeira and shallot until almost all liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add stock and boil until reduced to ½ cup, about 10 minutes.
- 3Add cream and boil until reduced to sauce consistency, about 10 minutes.
- 4(can be prepared 1 day ahead) For purses: Cook sausages until no longer pink, crumbling with a fork.
- 5Transfer to a bowl using a slotted spoon.
- 6Pour off fat from skillet.
- 7Add ¼ cup butter and oil to skillet and cook until butter melts.
- 8Add mushrooms and saute 6 minutes.
- 9Add shallots and thyme and saute until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- 10Add to sausages; cool completely.
- 11Mix cream cheese and ricotta in large bowl to blend.
- 12Add mushroom mixture and stir to blend.
- 13Cover filo sheets with a dampened towel next to your work surface.
- 14Stack 2 filo sheets on work surface.
- 15Cut off strip of filo to form a 12 inch square.
- 16Reserve filo strips under dampened towel.
- 17Brush square with melted butter.
- 18Place 1/8 of sausage mixture in center of square.
- 19Gather up corners to form bundle.
- 20Gently twist filo strip to form rope-like tie.
- 21Wrap tie around bundle and tie in a loose knot at center.
- 22Place bundle on baking sheet.
- 23Brush bundle and tie with butter.
- 24Repeat 7 more times.
- 25(can be made 4 hours ahead) Preaheat oven to 400F.
- 26Bake bundles until golden-brown, about 20 minutes.
- 27Bring sauce to simmer and spoon onto plates.
- 28Top with bundles.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom and Sausage Purses with Madeira Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (424 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1207.8
- Calories from Fat 939
- Total Fat 104.3 g
- Saturated Fat 49.5 g
- Cholesterol 290.4 mg
- Sodium 1756.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 38.4 g