Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Mushroom and Rice Casserole There is nothing to say about this but quick, easy and very good! I got this recipe from a church cookbook about 30 years ago, and it has been a family favorite ever since.
- 2 chopped onions
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans beef consomme
- parsley, to color
- melt butter in a skillet on top of the stove and sauté onions until clear in the butter.
- then add in rice and fry the rice until well colored and slightly browned. (Its kind of like rice a roni).
- place mixture into a covered casserole dish.
- add consomme`.
- drop in the mushrooms and parsley; add salt and pepper to taste and bake at 350F for about 45 minutes until the mushrooms rise to the top of the rice mixture.
- uncover and mix the mushrooms and fluff the rice.
- Then serve!
I used baby bellas and loved the earthy full bodied flavor of the finished dish. Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe! Made for Spring 2013 Pick A Chef.
Easy and delicious. I used portabella mushrooms as my choice and half the recipe as there was only the 2 of us. :)
I LOVE this casserole, my mother made this all time while we were growing up. We called it "Rice a Roni" even tho there's no Roni in it. I still make it today and its always good!