This is adapted from a recipe on drfuhrman.com. I made some changes to better fit our taste preferences. This reminds me of a good bistro sandwich: juicy, a little messy and delicious. You can reduce prep time by using jarred garlic and frozen onions and peppers. Vegizest is a mild herbal seasoning blend you can purchase on drfuhrman.com.
- 2⁄3 cup unhulled sesame seeds or 1⁄2 cup tahini
- 3⁄4 cup water (1/2 cup if using tahini)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon low sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (I use 1 Tablespoon vegizest instead, a mild herbal seasoning blend you can purchase on drfuhrman.com)
- 2 dates, pitted and sliced
- 1 small garlic clove, sliced
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet red pepper, chopped
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 4 whole grain pita (I like Toufayan Whole Wheat)
- 2 -3 cups baby arugula
- Pita Spread: Combine sesame seeds (or tahini), water, lemon juice, soy sauce, VegiZest, dates and garlic in high powered blender. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
- Filling: Coat large covered non-stick frying pan with oil. Add onion, red pepper and mushrooms. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, adding small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking.
- When filling is done, cut each pita in half across and gently open to create a pocket. Spread 1/8 of pita spread inside each pocket half. Add 1/8 of the filling and then stuff with arugula. Serve two halves per person.