Prep 20 mins
Cook 55 mins
Found in 500 (Practically) Fat Free One Pot Meals from library.
Make and share this Mushroom and Quinoa Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 7 1⁄4 cups vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- 2 cups canned tomatoes, low sodium, drained and chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup quinoa
- Heat 1/4 cup broth in large pot. Add onion and garlic and saute until onion begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until all ingredients are tender, about 50 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves and serve.
Oh man this was so good! I followed this recipe as it was written (except I had to use garlic powder since I didn't have the real stuff and threw some chicken in there for my hubby). Definitely will be making this again!
We are trying to do a meatless dinner once a week and this fit the bill perfectly. I made two changes. I doubled the mushrooms (the amount called for didn't look like enough) and added a little salt after tasting. I used a black quinoa. Will be making this again. Great flavors and textures.
Everyone who has commented on this recipe has done some tweaking; I am no exception! I sauteed the onion and garlic in olive oil; used beef stock instead of vegetable. I think the beef was too intense and I wasn't crazy about the dried basil. I will make again w/o the basil and switch back to veggy or chicken stock. The quinoa and barley was great. Made for Aus/NZ Make My Tag Reunion 2011