Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
In '1,000 Italian Recipes' by Michele Scicolone
Make and share this Mushroom and Potato Soup (Minestra Di Funghi E Patate) recipe from Food.com.
- 8 cups homemade meat broth (or a mix of half store-bought and half water)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced pancetta, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 lb assorted mushroom, such as white, cremini, portabello
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley
- Prepare the broth, if necessary.
- Pour the oil into a large pot.
- Add the pancetta.
- Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Add the onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, 2 tablespoons of the parsley, and the garlic.
- Cook, stirring often, until the mushroom juices evaporate, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes, salt, and pepper.
- Add the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add the barley and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1 hour or until the barley is tender and the soup is thickened.
- Sprinkle with the remaining barley and serve hot.