Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a family favourite. great for the cold days, when you need to warm the insides. you may want to double the recipe as there never seems to be enough...no leftover with this meal!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb mushroom
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a large kettle, sauté onion in butter until tender
- Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add water, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir 1 minute. Add the mushrooms, celery, potatoes, and carrots.
- Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetable are tender.
- Add cream and parmesan cheese.
- Remove 1 cup of chowder and puree, then replace in pot. Heat thoroughly and serve.