Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
ZWT7 Switzerland. "This is one favorite Saturday afternoon snack that I enjoy." By gourmetshark on http://isleofmanfood.com.
- 2 slices white bread
- 4 good slices of mature cheddar with black pepper (or mature cheddar and freshly ground black pepper)
- knob butter
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms
- In a pan, put a knob of butter and heat on the hob.
- Place the mushrooms and oregano in the pan and gently cook for 2-3 minutes until the mushrooms are lightly cooked and soft.
- Set aside.
- Lightly butter the two slices of bread.
- Place one of the bread slices butter side down and line with slices of the cheese.
- With a spoon place the mushrooms on top of the cheese, finally adding the other slice of bread, butter side facing out.
- Toast for 5 minutes in a toastie maker or George Forman Grill or until golden brown and cheese has melted.
- Serve warm with a side salad of leaves and cuppa if you want to push the boat out! (?!).
- Tip: If you donï¿½t have a toastie machine you could fry the toastie gently on each side in a frying pan.
I used baby bellas and sharp Cheddar. Much enjoyed. Thanks! Made for the Best of 2010 game.
A great sandwich which the DM and I thoroughly enjoyed. I used an aged vintage cheddar cheese and put a heap of pepper on mine but not the DM's as she is not so keen on pepper and with the mushrooms (I used swiss brown) and wholemeal/wholegrain bread and made them in the sandwich press. I served mine with a side salad and we both thoroughly enjoyed, thank you UmmBinat, made for ZAAR Chef Alphabet Soup.
Yum! I made these with a mature English Cheddar, and worcestershire black pepper instead of the stated cheese. I used whole wheat bread and these were very well received by all. I will make them again. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Made for ZWT6.