1/2 Photos of Mushroom and Oyster Soup for Lazy Gourmets
A really quick fine-dining type recipe! The approximate American weights are given in brackets. You can assemble this soup a day ahead, and keep it in the fridge to heat gently just before serving. Please adjust to your taste. Use the best quality canned mushroom soup and smoked oysters -- it makes a big difference to the end result. It IS rich, no excuses, but is served in very small portions -- not as generous as my photo seems to indicate! PS: I think that 2 cans of oysters might be better than just one and will improve the flavour. If you find the cup of cream too much, use a 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup chicken broth (or more mushroom soup).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 400 g mushroom soup (best quality, 14 oz)
- 105 g smoked oysters (best quality, 3 1/2 oz can, or increase to 2 cans)
- 250 ml fresh cream (1 generous cup, or use 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup chicken broth)
- 5 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley, very finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon spring onion, very finely chopped (green and white parts)
- 1/2 teaspoon flaked sea salt (you'll probably need more, to taste)
- 7 drops Tabasco sauce (or more to taste, or use any hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh (this is to taste ( I used a good squirt)
- coarse black pepper
- 1In a bowl, add all the ingredients except the pepper. About the smoked oysters: lift them from the tin with a fork when adding, and by all means use some of the canning oil too, as it adds to the flavour. If your oysters are quite large you can halve them.
- 2Whisk to mix.
- 3Please taste -- the soup is mild and rich, and you might want to add more lemon juice. i didn't measure, just squeezed a good squirt from half a lemon into the soup.
- 4At this stage the soup can be covered and kept in the fridge overnight, which will be better for flavour.
- 5To serve, heat VERY gently, or heat in a bowl in a warming oven. Do NOT boil.
- 6Serve as starter portions in small ramekins, with fresh rye bread (or other) alongside.
Browse Our Top Eggs/Dairy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom and Oyster Soup for Lazy Gourmets
Serving Size: 1 (242 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 535.9
- Calories from Fat 486
- Total Fat 54.0 g
- Saturated Fat 32.9 g
- Cholesterol 200.7 mg
- Sodium 355.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.1 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
flaked sea salt