Prep 8 mins
Cook 0 mins
A really quick fine-dining type recipe! The approximate American weights are given in brackets. You can assemble this soup a day ahead, and keep it in the fridge to heat gently just before serving. Please adjust to your taste. Use the best quality canned mushroom soup and smoked oysters -- it makes a big difference to the end result. It IS rich, no excuses, but is served in very small portions -- not as generous as my photo seems to indicate! PS: I think that 2 cans of oysters might be better than just one and will improve the flavour. If you find the cup of cream too much, use a 1/2 cup plus 1/2 cup chicken broth (or more mushroom soup).
- 400 g mushroom soup (best quality, 14 oz)
- 105 g smoked oysters (best quality, 3 1/2 oz can, or increase to 2 cans)
- 250 ml fresh cream (1 generous cup, or use 1/2 cup cream and 1/2 cup chicken broth)
- 5 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 -2 tablespoon parsley, very finely chopped
- 1 -2 tablespoon spring onion, very finely chopped (green and white parts)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon flaked sea salt (you'll probably need more, to taste)
- 7 drops Tabasco sauce (or more to taste, or use any hot sauce)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, fresh (this is to taste ( I used a good squirt)
- coarse black pepper
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients except the pepper. About the smoked oysters: lift them from the tin with a fork when adding, and by all means use some of the canning oil too, as it adds to the flavour. If your oysters are quite large you can halve them.
- Whisk to mix.
- Please taste -- the soup is mild and rich, and you might want to add more lemon juice. i didn't measure, just squeezed a good squirt from half a lemon into the soup.
- At this stage the soup can be covered and kept in the fridge overnight, which will be better for flavour.
- To serve, heat VERY gently, or heat in a bowl in a warming oven. Do NOT boil.
- Serve as starter portions in small ramekins, with fresh rye bread (or other) alongside.
My sisters and I loved this recipe. I make oyster stew all the time but had never had a smoked oyster like this. Quick and tastes wonderful. I did leave out the sherry because I don't use sherry or wine or anything like that in my cooking. I also used pepper and a few of the tops from my spring onion to garish. Served with Red Lobster Garlic Cheese biscuits. From now on when I want oyster soup this will be the recipe I use. Zurie I enjoyed this so much.