Prep 13 hrs
Cook 45 mins
This is a comforting side dish to serve along side roasted poultry, pork or beef. The pudding should be refrigerated for at least 12 hours before baking so that the egg mixture soaks into the bread and saturates it.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 cups onions, thinly sliced
- 1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 5 large eggs
- 1 envelope golden onion soup mix
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 6 cups French bread, crusts removed,1/2 inch cubes
- 1 cup fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Coat a 13X9" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a 10" saute pan over medium heat, melt the butter, add the onion, and cook, stirring until they begin to turn a golden color, about 10 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook them until golden brown, another 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, soup mix, heavy cream, and Worcestershire.
- Stir in the bread cubes until they are well coated.
- Stir in the onions and mushrooms.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared dish and sprinkle the cheese.
- Refrigerate for at least 12 hours before baking Peheat the oven to 350F.
- Bring the pudding to room temperature, and then bake it until it is golden brown, 35-45 minutes.
- Let the pudding rest 10 minutes before serving.