The earthy flavor of mushroom and the sweet nutty flavor of okra combine delicously in this easy Indian curry. The best way to eat okra is when it is young and freshly picked. I prefer to cook it whole. Just wash and dry the okra and trim the stem ends. Be careful not to slice into the pod itself and allow juice to escape. This can be a main dish for 4 people or a side dish for 6.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh gingerroot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 fresh red chilies, seeded and chopped
- 3/4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 green cardamom pods
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 (14 ounce) can peeled and chopped tomatoes
- 1 lb mushroom, halved (or quartered, if large)
- 8 ounces okra, washed, dried and trimmed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1Remove the seeds from the cardamom pods and grind in a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- 2With either a stick blender or food processor, blend the garlic, ginger and chilies with 3 tablespoons of the water, until smooth. Set aside.
- 3Heat a large pan over medium to high heat, add the oil, and when hot, add the coriander and cumin seeds and allow them to sizzle for a few seconds. Add the ground cumin, cardamom and turmeric and cook for 1 minute. Add the garlic, ginger and chili paste, the tomatoes, the remaining water, mushrooms and okra. Mix well, bring to the boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 4Uncover and cook the curry for 10 minutes more, or until the okra is tender.
- 5Serve hot, garnished with the cilantro and accompanied by rice and a tangy Indian relish.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom and Okra Curry
Serving Size: 1 (230 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 109.7
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 21.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 6.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green cardamom pods