Top Review by Pianolady
How different and wonderful. We have never tried Manchego Cheese before and it was certainly delicious in this dish. The only thing I think I would change next time would be to just slightly cut back on the quantity of mushroom as it seemed to be the predominant taste for us, but it was wonderful just as is as well. Thanks for sharing this incredible recipe! Dianne
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups very finely chopped carrots
- 2 large scallions, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups finely chopped mushrooms (about 1/4 pound)
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika (preferably smoked Spanish)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 2 cups grated spanish manchego cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a skillet and sauté the carrots and scallions slowly for about 5 minutes, until the carrots are tender.
- Turn up the heat, add the remaining tablespoon of butter, and sauté the mushrooms for a minute or so.
- In a bowl lightly beat together the cream, eggs, salt, paprika and nutmeg.
- Stir in the cheese and the sautéed vegetables.
- Butter 6 individual custard cups, divide the vegetable mixture among them, and place in a pan of hot water (bain-marie).
- Bake at 325º F for 25 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the custard comes out clean.
- Unmold and serve warm.
- If you make them in advance, re-heat by covering with foil and returning to the bain-marie for 10 minutes.