Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
great italian flavored side dish or meatless main dish.
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄4 parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon basil
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups leeks
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup white wine
- bring water,salt and pepper, to boil. slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly until well blended. reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10- 15 minutes, stirring frequently until thickened.
- remove from heat and add parmesan cheese and basil. mix well.
- pour into 8x4 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. cover and refrigerate for at least three hours until firm.
- when reached desired firmness, slice polenta into 12 slices and set aside.
- in sauce pan coated with cooking spray saute rosemary, thyme, mushrooms, leeks, and garlic for about 5 minutes. add tomatoes, vinegar, wine and sliced polenta. cover and cook 10-15 minutes. uncover and turn polenta slices. cook 5-10 minutes until sauce has thickened and polenta is warmed.