Recipe by Taitertot
This is the best savory vegetarian pie I have ever made! Found it online a couple of months ago. I'm watching what I'm eating, and the whole-wheat crust got me interested...Add some fresh chives to the recipe for even more flavor!
Top Review by Pancakee
First of all, I've neither made a galette nor eaten a galette till now...but this dish was great! I've made some changes to this recipe as written below, but I gave it 5 stars because the recipe did not call for an entire stick and half of butter. I've been itching to make galettes for awhile now, but felt a bit too guilty to eat that much fat. It's definitely a bread-ier type crust than the typical buttery pastry type...but it does reduce the total calories, so it's a much healthier recipe. To the dough, I added a bit of cracked pepper and some dried herbs. I sauteed the leeks in a mix of butter and EVOO and added salt and pepper straightaway. Then I added a mix of mushrooms and seasoned that as well. If I had white wine, I would have added some at this point. Instead I added a short glug of balsamic vinegar. Also, I had no cottage cheese or sour cream and just used a thick greek yogurt, and I never missed a thing...I also didn't add more salt to the eggy mixtures, as I thought I had seasoned enough. Before adding the eggy mixture, I added a few springs of fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon. After done baking, I topped with a another squeeze of lemon juice and fresh grated parmesean cheese. My DH is not usually a fan of mushrooms, but he 3/4th of it himself. Thanks for the recipe!
- 3⁄4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, for glaze
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups leeks, finely sliced (about 2 large)
- 12 ounces mushrooms, sliced (mix of cremini and potrabello)
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup parsley, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare crust: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Puree cottage cheese in a food processor. Add oil, milk and sugar; process until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and pulse 4 to 5 times, just until the dough clumps together. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead several times, but do not overwork. Press the dough into a disk, dust with flour and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare filling: Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, 3 to 5 minutes. (Add water, if necessary, to prevent scorching.) Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Let cool.
- Whisk egg, sour cream, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add scallions, parsley and the mushroom mixture; toss to coat.
- To assemble & bake galette: Preheat oven to 400°F Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a rough 15-inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Roll it back over the rolling pin and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 2-inch border all around. Fold the border up and over the filling to form a rim, pleating as necessary. Brush egg glaze over the rim.
- Bake the galette until the crust is golden, 25 to 35 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Slide onto a serving platter and serve hot or at room temperature.