Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are a great alternative to the normal quiche. The recipe was adapted from a New Idea book.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 150 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water, approx
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup thickened cream
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150 g ground lamb
- 100 g mushrooms, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 250 g tomatoes, peeled and chopped approximately
- Sift flour into bowl, rub in butter, stir in yolk, juice and enough water to make ingredients cling together.
- Press dough into ball, knead on floured surface until smooth, cover refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Divide pastry into 8 portions on lightly floured surface large enough to line 8 greased 10cm flan tins.
- Ease pastry into tins, trim edges.
- Place tins on oven trays, line pastry with paper and fill with dried beans.
- Bake in moderately hot oven for 7 minutes, remove beans and bake for further 7 minutes until pastry is browned.
- Divide filling between pastry cases pour over combined eggs and cream and milk.
- Bake in moderate oven about 30 minutes until browned.
- Filling: Heat oil in pan, add onion and garlic, cook stirring until onion is soft, add mince and mushrooms, stir over heat until mince is well browned.
- Stir in herbs and tomatoes, simmer uncovered until liquid is evaporated.