Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
It is Friday again and that means it is another chance for me to try to invent a healthier burger. This week we actually wanted a beef burger so I wanted to try to get it low fat but still moist and tasty. I had the idea of a horseradish and mushroom burger and this is what came out of those thoughts. The mushrooms are used sort of in place of breadcrumbs and their high moisture content helps to keep things moist. I think I may have thought that the horseradish would have been a stronger taste but in reality it was rather mellow but nice. If you want more of a bite from the horseradish I would suggest spreading a bit of the horseradish sauce on your burger bun as much more in the mix might make it too moist to hold up. Cooking time includes the chilling time.
- Put the onion, garlic and mushrooms into a food processor or chopper and blitz for about 40 seconds to a minute until everything is mixed and the mushrooms are finely chopped.
- Put the ground beef into a bowl and add the mixture you just blitzed, the horseradish sauce, stock cube and the egg white.
- Combine the mixture with your hands and then put into the fridge for about 30 minutes to let it firm up.
- Take out of the fridge and form into four equal sized patties.
- Then either fry them in a pan or do as I do and lightly brush them with very little extra virgin olive oil and grill them on a Foreman type grill. It takes about 8 minutes for them to be cooked through.
OH MY GOODNESS! These were so good. I used three heaping tablespoons of horseradish and was worried about giving myself a heart attack, but the flavor was just perfect. I think the juices/fat in the burger mellows the horseradish. The fresh garlic was a divine combo, too, and I only wish I had the beef boullion cube to add. ( def next time!) This recipe is a keeper! We ate on toasted kaiser buns with mayo and muenster cheese. I also added extra mushrooms, sautee'd alongside the beef. Divine!
I made these for my husband and made a different burger for myself. No offense, but I just don't like horseradish. at all. He on the other hand LOVES horseradish and garlic so I knew this was the perfect burger for him. He devoured these babies in no time flat. I did through on a slice of swiss cheese and some bacon too but otherwise made as directed. He really enjoyed them. Thanks so much for the recipe!
This was one heck of a burger! =) I really enjoyed the unique twist on a regular burger meal.