Recipe by mersaydees
Based on a recipe from Michelle Garner’s cookbook, Quick French Cuisine. I’ve been making these appetizers for years and they are always a smash hit. I hope they are for you, too!
Top Review by morgainegeiser
These were very good, and probably would have been better if I had been able to find all the necessary ingredients, but still liked them. I had to substitute breadstick dough for puff pastry as my store was out. They also did not have any cream cheese with garlic and herb, so just made my own.
- 1 tablespoon shallots, minced or 1 tablespoon green onion, minced white part only
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 lb mushroom, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried herbs, any combination of dill, basil, tarragon, oregano
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package cream cheese (garlic and herb)
- 0.5 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry
- 1 egg (for egg wash, mix with 1 tablespoon water)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In large skillet, sauté shallot or onion in butter until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and lemon juice to skillet and cook until mushrooms are soft and juices have absorbed.
- Add herbs, mix well and set aside to cool.
- Add cream cheese to cooled mushrooms and mix well. Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Roll out puff pastry to 10x12-inch rectangle.
- Spread filling over pastry.
- Cut pastry into fifteen 2x4-inch rectangles.
- Roll up each rectangle and brush with egg wash.
- Place seam side down on ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake until golden, about 15 minutes.
- Serve immediately.