Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Patricia Green’s and Carolyn Hemming’s book, Quinoa 365. “The bold color and flavor of this recipe make it a great side for a pork, chicken or beef dish. If you can’t find cremini mushrooms, use an extra cup (250mL) of button mushrooms.”
- 1 tablespoon butter (15 mL) or 1 tablespoon cooking oil (15 mL)
- 1⁄3 cup green onion, sliced (80 mL)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced (2 mL)
- 3⁄4 cup red quinoa (185 mL)
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock (435 mL)
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, quartered (250 mL)
- 1 cup brown cremini mushroom, quartered (250 mL)
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced (30 mL)
- 2⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated (160mL)
- Add butter to large saucepan on low heat. Add green onion and garlic and sauté for about 5 minutes. Add the quinoa and stir to coat it with butter.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, until most of the stock has been absorbed, stirring frequently.
- Add mushrooms and continue cooking for 15 minutes, stirring frequently, until there is no more liquid.
- Toss in a pinch of pepper and stir in the parsley and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately.
Excellent! I loved all the flavors! I added in grilled tofu cubes and some sauteed green cabbage. I shared with a friend and she loved it too. Thanks!