Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a filling for a 4-egg omelet or two 2-egg omelets for when you're having breakfast, brunch or dinner with somebody special. The combination of wine, cream & the delicate taste of Gruyere cheese makes it rich and delicious. The recipe can be doubled.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 shallots or 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (fresh or canned)
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream (whipping) or 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Melt butter over medium heat.
- Sauté chopped the shallots or green onions.
- Stir in the mushrooms and lemon juice.
- Add the wine and cream.
- Stir in the cheese and let it melt.
- Season with cayenne.
- Add the cornstarch in water and stir to thicken, heating through.
I tired this as a filling for crepes, and it was delicious
So good! We really enjoyed this breakfast. Had it with some whole grain toast. You really can't go wrong with mushrooms and cheese. We used the shallots.
The gruyere cheese has just enough flavor to meld all the ingrienients into one taste treat. I used half & half. The omelet recipe I used was Easy Omelet for One. Lovely brunch thanks echoecho