Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a savory bread pudding--a great gourmet side dish for the holidays.
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (such as crimini, button, and stemmed shiitake)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup madeira wine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 3⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fresh mushrooms and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add dried porcini; sauté until mushrooms are brown, about 8 minutes. Mix in tarragon and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Add Madeira to same skillet; boil until reduced by half, stirring, about 1 minute. Whisk milk and eggs in large bowl to blend. Whisk in Madeira, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Arrange 6 bread slices over bottom of prepared dish. Top with mushroom mixture, half of Gruyère, and half of Parmesan cheese. Cover with remaining 6 bread slices. Drizzle egg mixture over; press gently to submerge bread. Cover; chill at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Sprinkle remaining Gruyère and Parmesan cheese over bread pudding. Bake uncovered until bread pudding puffs and top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.