southern chef in louisiana's Note:
This is a savory bread pudding--a great gourmet side dish for the holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb assorted fresh mushrooms, thinly sliced (such as crimini, button, and stemmed shiitake)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup madeira wine
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 12 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1Spray 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish with nonstick spray. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add fresh mushrooms and onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add dried porcini; sauté until mushrooms are brown, about 8 minutes. Mix in tarragon and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to medium bowl.
- 2Add Madeira to same skillet; boil until reduced by half, stirring, about 1 minute. Whisk milk and eggs in large bowl to blend. Whisk in Madeira, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 3Arrange 6 bread slices over bottom of prepared dish. Top with mushroom mixture, half of Gruyère, and half of Parmesan cheese. Cover with remaining 6 bread slices. Drizzle egg mixture over; press gently to submerge bread. Cover; chill at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- 4Preheat oven to 350°F Sprinkle remaining Gruyère and Parmesan cheese over bread pudding. Bake uncovered until bread pudding puffs and top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom and Gruyere Bread Pudding
Serving Size: 1 (245 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.2
- Calories from Fat 138
- Total Fat 15.3 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 131.2 mg
- Sodium 642.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 16.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried porcini mushrooms