Recipe by Ms B.
From the April/May 2006 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray magazine. This is such a simple pizza. I do think that the buttery flavor of the Pillsbury crust really compliments the combo of swiss, mushrooms, and garlic. I don't think that a standard pizza crust would blend as well with these topping, but that is just my opinion. LOL
Top Review by whtbxrmom
Made this for dinner tonight. We used the Pillsbury crust as suggested. I have to say we weren't a fan of it. I have a feeling this would have been a 5 star recipe otherwise. I did add a little of an italian blend shredded cheese to the mozzarella to bring it up to 2 cups. Someone had gotten into the mozzarella so I only had about 1 1/4 cups when I went to use it. I also didn't measure my mushrooms and think we probably had more than called for. Our pizza was done a little early so you may want to keep a close eye on it during the last couple of minutes. I am sure we will be making this again. When we do, we'll try it again using a different crust and will update our rating if necessary. I am pretty sure it will be a 5 star recipe.
- 14 ounces refrigerated prepared pizza crust (I used Pillsbury)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Spread the pizza dough out to cover a large baking sheet, then brush with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and sprinkle with the garlic. Bake for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice the shitake and white mushrooms. In a large skillet, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over high heat and sauté the mushrooms until golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Sprinkle the baked dough with the Swiss cheese, then the mushrooms and the mozzarella. Sprinkle a little more salt over the topping and return the pizza to the oven. Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly, about 15 minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve.