Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The Best Recipes in the World; Mark Bittman. Eastern European origins.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries, rinsed and picked over
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn oil (any neutral oil) or 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil (any neutral oil)
- 1 (3 -4 lb) chicken, cut into serving pieces, trimmed of excess fat
- black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb button mushrooms (discard shiitake stems) or 1⁄2 lb cremini mushrooms (discard shiitake stems) or 1⁄2 lb shiitake mushroom, trimmed and sliced (discard shiitake stems)
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig, leaves chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar, and ¾ cup water; set heat at medium-low.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the berries are broken and the mixture is saucy, 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the oil in a deep skillet with a lid; set heat to medium-high and wait a minute or so, until the oil is hot.
- Add in the chicken, skin side down, and brown it well, rotating and turning the pieces as necessary, and sprinkling with salt and pepper as it cooks, 10-15 minutes.
- Finish the browning with the skin side up.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, mushroom, rosemary, and wine; decrease heat to low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Serve the chicken with the mushrooms and pan juices and top with the cranberry sauce.