The filling may be prepared up to 8 hours ahead and refrigerated --- these are very good!
Make and share this Mushroom and Chicken Grilled Quesadillas recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup butter
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 10 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro (or to taste)
- 3 cups cheddar cheese (can use Monterey Jack)
- 16 corn tortillas (5 or 6-inch size)
- olive oil
- salt and black pepper
- salsa (optional)
- Make this up to 8 hours ahead if desired: melt butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add in chili powder, garlic and oregano; saute for about 1 minute.
- Add in sliced mushrooms and saute for about 10-12 minutes; remove from heat.
- Add in chicken, onion and cilantro; mix to combine and season with salt and pepper to taste; cool for about 20 minutes.
- Add/mix in the shredded cheese.
- Heat the grill to medium heat.
- Light brush one side of only 8 tortillas.
- Place them (oil-side down) on a large baking sheet.
- Divide the chicken mixture evenly between the 8 tortillas, spreading the mixture evenly on the tortillas.
- Top each tortilla with one tortilla (you should have 8 tortillas) press down with hands and then brush the top tortilla with oil.
- Grill quesadillas until heated through and golden brown (about 3 minutes per side.
- Cut into wedges and serve with salsa.
I haven't had Quesadillas in a while so thought I would try these for lunch. First I cut this recipe in half because we were only two. Instead of just using regular button mushrooms I had used a 4oz package of gourmet blend mushrooms which added a really great flavor. I sauteed the onions a little bit with the mushrooms and prepared the mixture and brought it to work and assembled there for the oven.The corn tortillas really made a nice taste difference compared to the flour ones. All the flavors went so well together. I had baked these in the oven. But I will have to say I only had one problem with this recipe. I wish I didn't put any oil on the top or bottom, because we just found them too greasy on the outside. Is it because I did it in the oven and not on a grill? But I will make these again without the oil because we loved the yummy flavor otherwise. Thanks for sharing another of your wonderful recipes Kitten.
We really enjoyed these about two weeks ago, and will probably have them again this week. I cut the recipe in half and didn't bake them-- grilled them in a hot skillet for a few minutes on each side. I also used some cheddar and some mozzarella cheese as that was what I had on hand. Everyone-- even my "mushroom hating" DD-- enjoyed these!
These are delicious. I made these for my family and they all loved them. I did use flour tortillas, but I bet they are just as great with corn. I served these little beauties with some Mexican rice and served some salsa, sour cream and chopped cilantro and onions on the side. So good. Thank you for sharing with us this tasty recipe.