Prep 24 hrs
Cook 1 hr
Take time to enjoy the beginning of a new day by assembling this casserole the night before and baking just before mealtime. Found in LHJ.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups assorted sliced fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, shiitake, button, white, and/or crimini)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Fontina cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or parsley)
- 5 cups French bread or 5 cups Italian bread, cubes
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten or 1 cup fat-free liquid egg product, thawed frozen or refrigerated
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup single cream or 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- fresh thyme sprig
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot margarine or butter over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mozzarella, fontina, and herbs; toss to mix.
- In a greased 2-quart square baking dish place half of the bread cubes.
- Top with the mushroom mixture, cheese mixture, and prosciutto or Canadian-style bacon.
- Top with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a mixing bowl combine beaten eggs or egg product, milk, sour cream, mustard, and pepper.
- Pour over layers in dish.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into squares; garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.
Enjoyed this, but it did tke awhile to make. I used prosciutto instead of Canadian bacon. I will make again in the future when I have more time.
Have used this recipe a lot and, as a vegetarian, I just leave the meat out. However, a lot of my friends are vegan - and I wanted to make this for my New Year's brunch. Of course I left the meat out... and I used vegan bread for the bread cubes, Tofutti Sour Supreme to replace the sour cream, one package of Daiya cheese alternative to replace the cheese, and 8 ounces of pureed silken tofu (with a little olive oil and yellow food coloring) to replace the eggs. Came out just as good as the original, and all my veg friends RAVED about it. Thanks so much for a great recipe!
This morning I enjoyed a wonderful savory breakfast! Made this for 1 serving but was so filling 2 could have shared used only button mushrooms, prosciutto, 1 egg, basil and chives were my herbs of choice. Baked in a 22 ounce casserole dish for 40 minutes. Thank you!