Take time to enjoy the beginning of a new day by assembling this casserole the night before and baking just before mealtime. Found in LHJ.
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups assorted sliced fresh mushrooms (such as oyster, shiitake, button, white, and/or crimini)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup shredded Fontina cheese (1 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons assorted snipped fresh herbs (such as basil, oregano, thyme, and/or parsley)
- 5 cups French bread or 5 cups Italian bread, cubes
- 2 ounces prosciutto or 2 ounces Canadian bacon, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten or 1 cup fat-free liquid egg product, thawed frozen or refrigerated
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup single cream or 1⁄2 cup light sour cream
- 1 tablespoon dijon-style mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- fresh thyme sprig
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large skillet cook onion and garlic in hot margarine or butter over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook about 3 minutes more or until tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mozzarella, fontina, and herbs; toss to mix.
- In a greased 2-quart square baking dish place half of the bread cubes.
- Top with the mushroom mixture, cheese mixture, and prosciutto or Canadian-style bacon.
- Top with the remaining bread cubes.
- In a mixing bowl combine beaten eggs or egg product, milk, sour cream, mustard, and pepper.
- Pour over layers in dish.
- Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 2 to 24 hours.
- Bake, uncovered, for 55 to 60 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand 10 minutes.
- To serve, cut into squares; garnish with fresh thyme sprigs.