Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe uses a flan tin, which is perfect for a variety of different dishes such as quiches, tarts and cheesecakes. Flan tins are available in many different shapes and sizes, from the simple round-shaped tin to a loving heart-shaped tin. You’ll also find that most common tins available on the market are made of traditional tin-ware, non-stick coated aluminium and non-stick coated steel or silicone. Providing the tin you choose is made to a high quality, it should be perfect for baking your delicious treats and last for years to come. It’s worth remembering that flan tins are available with loose bases as well as fixed bases. This is because loose bases are really helpful in ensuring that flaky pastry crusts do not break when they are removed from the tin. Fixed base tins are more likely to be used for self-crusting quiches, baked cheese cakes or any recipes that have a very liquid mix. For more information on quiche tins visit http://tablepride.co.nz .
- Pastry Method.
- Using a pastry blender, blend the butter into the flour until the mix resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add water a little at a time until the pastry comes together to form a ball.
- Chill for 15 minutes.
- Roll out thinly to line a 20-24cm flan tin.
- Filling Method.
- Sauté mushrooms and onions with a little butter until soft.
- Cover the bottom of the uncooked pastry crust with grated cheese and then the mushroom and onion.
- Mix together eggs, cream, milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into the pie crust and then sprinkle with blue cheese.
- Bake at 220°C for 20-30 minutes until set and serve.