Recipe by Angela V-C
A delicious long-cooking crockpot stew. Vegan or vegetarian. Can simmer in crockpot 24+ hours. Ingredients can vary widely in type and quantity and still result in delicious stew. Good with combination of chickpeas and soy beans as these stand up to long cooking time. Veggies to possibly use include carrot, green pepper, cabbage, other greens. Any kind of dried mushrooms will do, and in varying amounts.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups chickpeas or 1 1⁄2 cups soybeans, dry
- 1⁄2 cup rice (optional)
- 6 dried mushrooms
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 cup greens, chopped
- 10 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 4 small white potatoes, cut in half
- 1 carrot
- 1 green pepper
- 6 cups water (or broth)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in bottom of cooker. Add onions, half of beans and rice, garlic, dried mushrooms, and sesame oil. Top with the rest of the beans and rice, spices, any vegetables. Top with potatoes and oil.
- Add stock or water to top of crockpot. Let sit overnight in order to soak beans (it's OK to refrigerate).
- Start the crockpot in the morning or early afternoon on low setting. You may need to check once and add water. Stew is ready the next day in the morning or early afternoon (24-28 hours later). Add salt after cooking is done.
- Serve with sour cream for an extra-delicious stew.