Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs 6 mins
We really enjoyed this simple soup. Recipe source: Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker.
- 28.34 g dried mushroom
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 236.59 ml pearl barley
- 226.79 g mushrooms, sliced
- 1419.54 ml vegetable broth
- 7.39 ml dried thyme
- 29.58 ml chives, minced
- Place the dried mushrooms in a heatproof measuring cup and cover with hot water. Let sit until softened. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. Slice mushrooms. Set aside.
- In a small skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrot and celery and cook until softened (5 minutes).
- Transfer vegetables to crock pot and add barley, both kinds of mushrooms, broth, reserved mushroom soaking liquid, thyme and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve garnished with chives.
Made exactly as written and am sorry to say I found this exceedingly bland. It is very filling, something different, and cheap to make, but I couldn't make it again. I was going to give it 2 stars but Fiance actually said it was OK. I found I needed a lot of salt and wished for some lemon! Lemon and thyme always compliment each other. If I were to do it again I think I'd use all fresh mushrooms. Wasn't crazy about the dried shitaki in it.
I really liked this. I did add a little more seasoning than called for, including fresh garlic. Also 1 tsp of dried whole thyme, which seemed like plenty. Even though I was a little short on the amount of mushrooms, it still worked out really well. Don't be tempted to skip on the amount of liquid because it gets really really thick and creamy. I think the key to this is long and slow - I had it on high originally, thinking we would have it for lunch, but it wasn't looking so good so I turned it down and left it alone for the afternoon. It's really like a stew if you leave it that long, which I really liked. My mushroom hating children even liked this, which is a shocker! I'm sure I'll be making this again with different types of dried mushrooms (today I used shitake, not my favourite). Great way to use a crock pot!
This is a pretty good recipe. Easy and quick to put together. I used fresh thyme in place of the dried. I used dried shiitake, fresh shiitake, and portabella. My bf didn't care for the portabella very much. Nice warm stew on a cooler day. Thanks for posting.