Demonstrated at a Cooking Study Group. Like Grandma used to make!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs lean beef flank steak
- 6 beef bones with marrow
- 1/2 cup pearl barley (rinsed in strainer with cold water)
- 2 (1/2 ounce) packages dried mushroom
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 parsley root, and top
- 6 celery ribs, and tops
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1Place flanken, bones and dried mushrooms in large pot with barley.
- 2Add cold water to within 4" of top of pot.
- 3Put in onion, carrot, parsley, including top, celery, dill, salt and pepper.
- 4Bring to boil and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- 5At this point, remove meat.
- 6Then take out marrow bones, and from each bone remove cooked marrow.
- 7Place in a blender with the onion, carrot, parsley root and celery ribs and some of the broth.
- 8Blend and set aside. Remove dill from soup and discard.
- 9Add cleaned and sliced fresh mushrooms to soup with mixture from blender and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- 10This soup improves with age and should always be made the day before serving and refrigerated, so that fat can be removed from top. *If freezing soup, let it stand over-night in refrigerator, skim off fat from top, and then freeze.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mushroom and Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 124.6
- Calories from Fat 39
- Total Fat 4.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.7 g
- Cholesterol 23.1 mg
- Sodium 38.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef bones with marrow