Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
Demonstrated at a Cooking Study Group. Like Grandma used to make!
- 2 lbs lean beef flank steak
- 6 beef bones with marrow
- 1⁄2 cup pearl barley (rinsed in strainer with cold water)
- 2 (1/2 ounce) packages dried mushroom
- 1 large onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 parsley root, and top
- 6 celery ribs, and tops
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- salt and pepper
- Place flanken, bones and dried mushrooms in large pot with barley.
- Add cold water to within 4" of top of pot.
- Put in onion, carrot, parsley, including top, celery, dill, salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil and simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- At this point, remove meat.
- Then take out marrow bones, and from each bone remove cooked marrow.
- Place in a blender with the onion, carrot, parsley root and celery ribs and some of the broth.
- Blend and set aside. Remove dill from soup and discard.
- Add cleaned and sliced fresh mushrooms to soup with mixture from blender and cook an additional 20 minutes.
- This soup improves with age and should always be made the day before serving and refrigerated, so that fat can be removed from top. *If freezing soup, let it stand over-night in refrigerator, skim off fat from top, and then freeze.